The SA1 Link Upgrade started in Sep2008 from the preparatory work on NA2 and covers the:
- Link Operation.
Setting up the connections of the Observatories to the Global Advanced Network Community as well as Internet through a high capacity link involving in Chile three well defined path; Paranal to Antofagasta, Antofagasta to Santiago and Santiago to RedCLARA.
- SA1-1 “Tender Launch“, 2009/Q1
- SA1-2 “Tender Result“, 2010/Q2
- SA1-3 ”Link delivery report“, 2010/Q3
- SA1-4“Link performance report”, 2010/Q4
- SA1-5 “Link service report”, 2011/Q2
- Construction and installation tasks:
- construction of a fiber cable from the ESO Paranal Observatory to the Ruta5 crossroad named La Varilla (approx 80km of 12core cable) – COMPLETED 2010/Aug
- construction of a fiber cable from the ARUB Cerro Armazones Observatory (OCA) to the main cable (approx 20km of 12core cable) – COMPLETED 2010/Oct
- connection to commercial network for the connectivity of Antofagasta (REUNA), Santiago (ESO/Vitacura and REUNA) – COMPLETED 2010/Sep
- installation and configuration of DWDM equipment in all nodes – COMPLETED 2010/Oct
- Start of operational use for JRAx activity: 2010/11/01 (Launching Event: 2010/11/04)
- Operation and monitoring: During the first operational period, namely from December 2010 to May 2011:
- The overall EVALSO communication infrastructure performed according to specification in a robust and stable manner.
- All SLA defined for the subsystems have been met by the providers.
- The project put in place, tested and refined the maintenance procedures and the monitoring tools that will be later used by the normal operations after project end.
- In the context of the SPIE conference on Astronomical Instrumentation, San Diego, 27June-02July 2010, paper 7740-53, “EVALSO: a high-bandwidth communication infrastructure to efficiently connect the ESO Paranal and the Cerro Armazones Observatories to Europe.” was presented on Wednesday 30 June, 1:40PM-3:10PM, Session 12 Cyberinfrastructure II at the conference “Software and Cyberinfrastructure for Astronomy“. This paper describes the technical choices and the solutions adopted to create high bandwidth (>1Gbps) communication links delivered as part of the SA1 activity.